I want to challenge you to think about the impacts social media has on your marketing campaigns, and I also want to challenge you to get a little more creative when it comes to content. It is important to understand this concept because it can take your marketing to the next level, and can really set you apart from the competition.
Avoid The Disconnect
Social media changed the media landscape and revolutionized how people communicate. We also know how important content is when it comes to being found by users who are searching the web. The problem is when there is trouble understanding how to effectively use content and social media. What if you have an amazing website with no social media presence? What if you have a great social media presence, but a content-weak website? In the marketing world we live in today you need to be able to market to people who like you (through social media) and market to people who need you (through search engines, email, and social media referrals). Businesses that are able to do this find big opportunities. Look at it this way…
- People who like you are…
- Fans of your business and an excellent referral source.
- Have been customers in the past
- Would like to be a customer in the future
- People who need you
- Have their wallet open and are ready to buy
- Are ready to be turned into someone who likes you
The real magic comes into play when your marketing creates new customers, and your customers experience with you creates people who like you and tell others. Are you starting to see why this is a powerful concept?
The Synergy of Social Media and Website Content
So we’ve talked about two different things. Finding people who like and engaging with you, and finding people who need you (and then turning them into customers who like you). This is how you continue to expand and grow your network and more importantly make more sales and grow your business. The key to doing this effectively is to have great content on your site, and use that content on your social media sites. You need great content on your website because when search engines index your site they are analyzing your content to identify whether or not your site is relevant to someone who is searching. You might be thinking, “I have 1,000,000 likes and I have 1,000,000 Twitter followers, I don’t need a site with great content.” Take a look at these numbers.
- Facebook has 2.27 Billion Monthly Active Users
- Twitter has 336 Million Monthly Active Users
- Instagram has 1 Billion Monthly Active Users
- Snapchat has 186 Million Daily Active Users
- Estimate 3.5 Billion Daily Searches on Google according to this recent study
With those numbers in mind you can see that it is very important to have a site that search engines find relevant. While social media is very important, the content on your site is still the most important ranking signal for search engines. Also consider this, if I am visiting a new city I might ask my Facebook friends what restaurant I should eat at, but how do I find directions to that restaurant? You guessed it… I search for it. My point is that when people are really ready to buy, or they are ready to pick up the phone and call, or they are about to walk in your front door they turn to search. Again, this is why the content on your site has to be unique, original and relevant. Do you want potential customers to do some social media research and have them find the competition when they turn to the search engines?
Some Action Items
Control what you can control. If you can’t control your website, take 100% control over your social media. If you have the opportunity to control both your social media and your website, here are some things you can do to really get the strategy of engaging with people who like you, and finding people who need you.
- Create original and unique content.
- Have a great site with an excellent user experience.
- Use that content to fuel your social media.
- Also use that content in email campaigns.
- Original posts to social media are good, but just keep them brief. If it’s getting long, write a blog instead and share it on social media.
- Consider Google Ads. This is a great way to find out what keywords drive users to your site.
Still have questions? Contact us today at [email protected]