Do you get continuous calls from Google at your business? Guess what – it probably isn’t Google. We’ve had a number of different businesses ask why Google keeps calling them. When looking at each situation we determined it probably isn’t Google, but more likely a scam.
This is common, so Google created a support document about this specific topic. There are a few instances when Google will call, but the occurrences are limited. A good rule of thumb is, if you are expecting a call from Google then it is probably legitimate. If you aren’t expecting a call, then it most often is a scam.
When Google Will Call
- Google may call you if you are working to claim a Google Business Profile listing or are confirming details for Google Maps. This contact is something you have to request. Google Business Profile management is something that Vivid Image handles for many businesses. If we are working on this for your business, we will warn you to watch for a call.
- If you have a Google account manager, you may get a call from them. Most often this is tied to a Google Ads account. A Google account manager will not call you out of the blue one day. They would have made contact with you by email or another means prior to calling. Vivid Image also manages business Ads accounts, so we may also inform you of this connection.
Overall, there are very few times Google will call your business.
Google Will Not Ask For
Often the scam calls will ask for information that you should not share. Here are some common requests from the scam calls, but these are things Google will never do.
- Charge you money to be included in Google My Business or Google Search
- Manage your business’ online profile
- Offer to improve your business’ search ranking
- Ask you for your password or verification code – don’t share this information
- Call you using a robocall/recorded voice
If you receive a call that you believe is a scam the Federal Trade Commission offers advice on what you can do.
Never give out private information. If you aren’t expecting a call from Google it probably isn’t Google. Ask unexpected callers to take you off their calling list, don’t give them information, and hang-up.
If you receive requests or information from Google that you aren’t sure what to do with please contact your Vivid Image Account Director. We’ll help you through the situation.
Need to increase sales, find new leads, and drive way more traffic to your business? Request your free Playbook now!