To help people who may have the unofficial title of “webmaster” somewhere in their job description, we have come up with a very basic webmaster checklist to help you manage the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly website maintenance tasks. Following these recommendations will put you ahead of your competition and on track for giving your customers a remarkable experience on your website.
Here is a basic, but important website maintenance checklist that also includes links to blog posts with more detailed information.
Daily/Weekly Website Maintenance Tasks:
- Login to your WordPress website daily to check for completed customer forms.
- Fix any broken links weekly.
- Write one blog post or put time into new content development for your website weekly.
Monthly/Quarterly Website Maintenance Tasks:
- Review your website statistics (i.e. Google Analytics) monthly and take action when needed.
- Review your local search visibility with Google & Bing quarterly. Our online listing services can help ensure the best visibility.
- Review and tweak title tags and search engine optimization quarterly.
- Sign up for additional training sessions at Vivid Image on WordPress, blogging or social media quarterly.
- Test & tweak forms and automated messages quarterly- If you have forms on your website, you need to review them to make sure they are working properly and are collecting the information that you need. Remember, the fewer fields you have in a form, the more likely you will receive lead conversions. But, with less fields, the leads will probably be less qualified.
- Test your website on new web browsers quarterly – Web browsers are updated frequently and sometimes it affects how your website will display. To make sure that your website is compatible with the latest browsers, visit browsehappy.com and download the latest browsers. View and navigate your site in each browser to ensure it is up to your standards. This includes pulling your website up on your mobile phone and other mobile devices to check that it displays correctly and is easy to use “as intended.”
Yearly Website Maintenance Tasks:
- Update time references and copyright in footer of your website or other locations.
- Review each page on your website for consistency (fonts, photo sizes, grammar & copywriting).
- Evaluate your active email accounts and delete unnecessary ones.
- Review your website domain names and expiration.
- Schedule an annual (or quarterly) to review your overall web strategy with your project manager.
- Review your top performing blog posts and make sure the content is not out-of-date so your bounce rate isn’t high.
If you have questions or need help with any of these tasks, please contact your Account Director. We would be happy to provide you with solutions to making sure these necessary website maintenance tasks get done so that your Internet marketing is successful.