Even as a “seasoned” Facebook marketer, I will be one of the first to admit that Facebook marketing isn’t rocket science. But if you want to effectively promote your business on Facebook, whether you are doing it in-house, or hiring a Pro, you need to do your research ahead of time and have a plan and the resources to make it happen. You will want to have a social media strategy in place and avoid some of these common Facebook marketing mistakes.
5 Mistakes to Avoid with Facebook Pages
- Choosing profile versus page: Businesses should never set up a brand or business as a personal profile, and there is no advantage to doing so. In fact, companies who still have their businesses set up as a personal page are missing out on many SEO benefits. If your business is set up as a Facebook profile, you can convert it into a page.
- Not Looking at the big picture: Thinking that a Facebook page is a substitute or alternative to a website or blog may limit your potential. Facebook is a great piece of your online marketing, but in most cases, will not work well alone and without proper care and feeding. Developing a social media strategy helps you to create a long-term plan for giving your Facebook marketing the attention it deserves to reach your goals.
- Too much focus on sales: Facebook pages need to be content-focused and offer their community information that is useful and relevant, not just sales pitches. This is why the blog/Facebook combination is perfect – You can feed your interesting blog posts to Facebook, and drive your fans back to your blog.
- Poor Profile Picture or Cover Image: When non-fans come to your Facebook page for the first time, what impression do they get from your profile image and cover image? You can also create a call-to-action button to increase conversions.
- Not Maximizing Open & Fluid Communication: Facebook can be an amazing communication channel with your customers. Allow and encourage comments, and let “everyone’s” posts display by default on your wall, not just yours. Remember to stay customer-service focused when addressing comments on behalf of your company.
These are just some of the most common mistakes that I see businesses making with their Facebook page, often resulting from not having the time, staff, or resources to put into effective Facebook marketing.
If your business would like to see the potential of marketing with Facebook or other social media, Vivid Image can help. Contact us to get a quote on our social media management services.
What mistakes have you seen businesses make on Facebook pages? What mistakes have you made? What has worked well for you with Facebook Marketing?