It’s that time of year again.. all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season will soon be approaching. Now is the time to start thinking about creating your holiday emails.
Here is a handy checklist to create an impactful email for the season.
1. Create a Holiday Header
You may not realize this, but the header can be the most powerful part of your email. It will either entice your reader to open your email or to pass you by.
- From Name & Email – Make sure you use a very recognizable Name and Email address so that the reader knows instantly who the email is coming from. People often skip emails if they aren’t certain who they are from.
- Subject Line -This lets the reader know what to expect inside the email. Make sure you use a dynamic subject line to entice the reader to open. Keep this short and sweet by limiting it to about 7 words.
- Preheader Text – This is the area that acts like a second subject line. Use this spot to give a little bit more information to further entice the reader to open the email.See this example of how it will appear to your readers inbox:
From: Jacks BBQ <info@jacksBBQ.com>
Subject: Deck the Halls with Savings!
Preheader: Last minute shopping? We have unique gift ideas!
2. Create a Holly, Jolly Email
- Company Logo – Add your logo front and center so that the reader quickly is reinforced with who is sending the email.
- Headline and Body Copy – Keep your emails limited and simple. Try to have a main subject for each email – limit your emails to no more than 3-4 topics. Constant Contact has found that emails that contained a combination of 20 lines of text and three images received the highest click through rate. Remember to be sure to stay true to your company’s personal branding even throughout the holidays and all of the holiday looks. Brand consistency matters and you want your readers to quickly recognize that the email is coming from your brand, whether it is during a holiday or not.
- HEADLINE – Explain what you are offering in larger bolder text.
- BODY COPY – Explain how this offer will help your readers. Keep the body copy around 14 pts in size so that it is easy to read on all devices.
- Images – Images are proven to help your email marketing. However, too many images can distract the reader from the goal of the email. Try to use no more than 4 photos and to choose images that support the message of the email.
- Add a Call to Action! Every email should ask the reader to do something… whether it be to register for an event, join a special mailing list, click to an offer on the website or a coupon to use in your store… ask your reader to become engaged in some way and to take some sort of action.
3. Create a Festive Footer
- Add links to your social media. Not all of your social fans are currently on your email subscription list and not all of your current subscribers are fans on your social sites. Be sure to share your info so that you can keep your readers engaged in everything you have to offer.
- Contact Information. Make sure your footer contains your address and contact information so that you can be easily reached if the reader has any questions.
- Allow readers to Unsubscribe. Safe Unsubscribe option is mandated by the U.S. CAN-SPAM legislation. Lucky for you, Constant Contact users automatically have the unsubscribe from your email contact list added to all of their email templates.
4. Create an Email Series of 3
People can’t always respond or take an action right when they open the email. It is proven to be more effective to send an email series of three.
- Announce your offer. This email will let your readers know what offer you have or event you have coming and give them an idea of how long they have to take advantage of it.
- Reminder Email. This email will remind your readers of your offer and that the deadline is approaching.
- Last Chance Email! This email should be sent a couple of days prior to the end of your offer reminding them that they have a small window to still receive this great deal or attend this wonderful event.
Make the most of the holiday season with your best digital foot forward. Send a holiday email that your readers will be excited to open and happy to engage with. Happy Holidays!
At Vivid Image we are proud to partner with Constant Contact and are ready to help you find the right fit for your Email Marketing strategy. From Newsletters and Publications to Surveys and Social Campaigns we are here to help you get started, achieve better results and find the perfect fit. Contact your Account Director or (320) 587-8974 with your Email Marketing or Constant Contact questions or visit Constant Contact for a FREE Trial.