Are you looking to actively use social media at your upcoming tradeshow? Great idea! Here are some tips to help you get the most out of it:
Best Practices for Hashtags and Tradeshows
Here are some best practices for using hashtags on Twitter or Instagram to promote your tradeshow or event:
- Always do your research first to see if and how the hashtag is currently being used
- Make sure the hashtag is relevant
- Make the hashtag easy to spell and remember
- Don’t use too many hashtags – 1 or 2 is best, avoid more than 4 (you can use more on Instagram)
- Use hashtags consistently, but with moderation.
- If you want to track a specific campaign with a hashtag, make sure it is not generic, so you know it is a response to your campaign.
- For a short-term special show promotion, you could consider offering an incentive for using the hashtag
Using Social Media & Video at Tradeshows
Video and live video is the hottest media right now! Here are some ways to use video to promote your tradeshow or event.
- Demonstrate how products work in the booth or at a seminar.
- Use video before the show, as a teaser of a new product that you are introducing
- Interview people who have used the products, and get a testimonial
- Record part of an educational presentation (if allowed by show mgmt and the speaker)
- If you are sponsoring a special event at the show, take video and share it!
- Even if you upload video to YouTube, also upload the video to Facebook. Videos that are native to Facebook (and not just shared on Facebook via YouTube) get more reach and view with Facebook’s autoplay feature. Videos uploaded to Facebook can also now be embedded in your website or blog, just like a YouTube video.
- Be aware of the background noise in the show hall. You may want to move to a quieter spot or invest in a lapel microphone.
- Try to post photos and videos as quickly as possible. The real-time effect helps generate interest, and Facebook reach can be enhanced when you are posting real-time images/video from your mobile device.
Some More Social Media & Tradeshow Resources
Doing Video? Check out Mari Smith’s Video Gear List (PDF)
Interested in learning how Vivid Image can help you with your Tradeshow marketing? From tradeshow banner design to pre-show marketing, strategy, and more… Vivid Image can help make your next tradeshow or event a success. Contact us to learn more!