Instagram has grown in popularity since its inception, and it has some very unique social media aspects. The most interesting thing about Instagram is that it has remained an application without a robust Internet counterpart like Twitter and Facebook have. To use Instagram in all its glory, you need to have a smart phone or mobile device. With the app installed, the sky is the limit.
What Businesses Are a Great Fit for Instagram?
- Essentially any business or organization willing to put the creativity into how to visually appeal to their audience has an opportunity on Instagram.
- Any business or organization with a passionate community base that feels very connected.
- Any business or organization with a younger demographic.
As Facebook grows in epic proportions, American teenagers and young adults continue to shift away from Facebook toward Instagram and Snapchat. Why? Its straightforward, visual use allows our texting generations to let pictures say a thousand words so they don’t have to type it all in their little keyboards. Adults can learn from observing this behavior and understanding its appeal.
When I asked my oldest daughter if she follows businesses on Instagram, she looked at me like that was a dumb question. “Of course” she follows businesses on Instagram. When asked what kind of businesses or why, she was able to list many off the top of her head. It didn’t take long for me to realize all the businesses she listed have figured out creative appeal to their target market using images to highlight:
- make up
- body image
- art & design
One of her favorites is Poshmark, an online business for buying and selling new or used fashion items, something she’s been doing for a number of years. It uses images on Instagram to stay top of mind and continually generate interest.
Businesses Who Could Do Well on Instagram
- Construction: Essentially anything that can visually highlight progress. We’re a voyeurism society, and there’s a reason the “make-over” tv shows do well.
- Fitness: Again, showing progress of weight-loss and fitness would translate well to images.
- Bakeries & Eateries
- Farming and Gardening: Again, the ability to capture progress through images
- Art: In all its forms
- Schools: Individual projects like science, art, robotics, etc.
- Car Dealerships: Implements, farm equipment, cars, trucking companies, have very niche markets
- Landscaping and Florists
- Share your additional ideas with us.
Like all things, creativity, humor, charm, and the power of being part of a community will all work in favor of any business or organization considering Instagram. Instagram’s image size/shape for photos and videos will welcome more traditional horizontal and vertical images, in addition to its tradition square shape. It’s also added image collage and slideshow features. Hashtags on Instragram have really taken off, and you can follow them directly.
Take small steps: I highly recommend following some local and national businesses on Instagram, as well as someone in a vertical industry and maybe a competitor or two. Ask a friend who uses Instagram which businesses he/she follows and why. Watch and learn, take notes, and then dust off your camera phone. Create a plan and don’t assume it’s too “out there”. While you can’t make something pick up momentum and go viral, you also can’t possibly know that it won’t.